How To Survive Heatwave: Top 10 Tips To Beat Hot Summer Heat
Here are top 10 safety tips to keep you cool during harsh and hot summer and protect you from heatwave.
- Avoid going out during peak hours : Stay out of sun especially between 10am and 3pm. If travel is unavoidable, plan it before 10am or post 5pm.
Avoid direct sun, wear a hat, or a cap or a scarf. Try walking in the shade.
- Limit strenuous activity or exercises.
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water & lemonade with mint. Avoid excessive coffee & alcohol that cause dehydration.
- Eat summer friendly foods like salads, cucumber, yogurt/curd, mint, etc Avoid heat generating foods like meat, eggs and other proteins, spicy foods including excess salt intake.
- Keep windows and doors closed during the day, and open them at night when the temperature had dropped.
- Use AC/Air Coolers / Ceiling Fans. Place a fan at the window and let the cool air settle in. Use the exhaust fan to push hot air out.
- Keep rooms cool with light-coloured curtains.
- Turn off electric bulbs and lights, ovens and large display LCD TV screens, which adds up to room temperature.
- Wear light and loose fitting cotton clothes.
- Take frequent cool showers and splash or sprinkle yourself with cool water. Cold compresses with wet towels soaked in ice cold water around your pulse points like your wrists, neck, under knees, inner elbows, forehead, arms and feet. Soak your feet in cold water.